-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_09_11 News article announces that KFJC will be broadcasting soon. Article notes that the station will broadcast from the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Trustees had considered waiting to begin broadcasting until the station could be installed at the new Foothill campus in Los Altos Hills but station manager Bob Ballou convinced them to reconsider. Photograph of student Charles Henderson at the broadcast desk.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_09_10 News article announces that KFJC will be broadcasting soon. Article notes that the station will broadcast from the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Trustees had considered waiting to begin broadcasting until the station could be installed at the new Foothill campus in Los Altos Hills but station manager Bob Ballou convinced them to reconsider. Photograph of student Charles Henderson at the broadcast desk.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_09_02 News article announces KFJC to go on air October 15 according to Foothill's Director of Public Information Ervin L. Harlacher. Harlacher also notes that the antenna had just been hoisted atop the main college building.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_08_27 News article announces KFJC to begin broadcasting in September. Foothill also offering a radio broadcasting class - Broadcasting 92A, Radio Production Laboratory. Fred Critchfield is the faculty advisor to the station.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_08_18 News article announces KFJC going on air in the fall. Article notes programming will include "study music, local and national news, sports, jazz and classical music." Foothill will offer a two-unit radio production laboratory course. Photograph of Bob Ballou working with radio equipment.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_06_25 News article announcing that KFJC will be on the air in September.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_05_29 News article announcing that KFJC has new furniture, some of it built by manager Bob Ballou and his father.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_05_15 News article announcing that KFJC has bought 275 records, mostly classical.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_04_26 News article notes that Foothill students Bob Ballou, Dick Thiesse and Robert Johnson will be testing the new radio station equipment in May in preparation for going on air in the fall.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_03_26 News article announcing KFJC will be on the air in May, 1959.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_03_03 News article announcing FCC approval for KFJC, 10 watts at FM 88.5.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1959_11_29 News article announcing KFJC's first semi-annual open house will be held on Thursday.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1958_12_25 News article announcing possibility of two new college radio stations, one at Foothill and one at Stanford.
-
fh_kfjc_news_1958_11_24 News article announcing Foothill Board approval of $4,250 for equipment for new student-operated radio station.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_unidentified_1961_04_13_025 Unidentified student at the broadcast desk of KFJC with record playing in foreground, in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_unidentified_1960_xx_xx_024 Unidentified student at the broadcast desk of KFJC in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_unidentified_1959_04_25_011 Unidentified student at the broadcast desk of KFJC in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_studio_1959_xx_xx_023 Bob Ballou at the microphone in the recording room with an unidentified student at the control booth in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_studio_1959_04_xx_015 Unidentified man hammering wall during construction of KFJC radio studio in basement of Foothill College, 1959. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_studio_1959_04_08_016 Construction of KFJC radio studio in basement of Foothill College, 1959. Photo of unfinished studio with clock on wall and overhead pipes. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_studio_1959_04_01_028 Construction of KFJC radio studio in basement of Foothill College, 1959. Photo of plywood flooring and countertop. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_studio_1959_03_20_022 Construction of KFJC radio studio in basement of Foothill College, 1959. Photo of ladder, table and flashlight with overhead pipes and fluorescent lights. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_kulick_fred_standing_1959_12_16_026 KFJC station manager Fred Kulick standing next to seated student at broadcast desk in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_kulick_fred_seated_1960_09_15_027 Two students working at the KFJC broadcast desk in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View in a photo from 1960. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_kulick_fred_1960_06_15_014 Head shot of Fred Kulick, Jr., who became station manager of KFJC on June 3, 1960. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_davis_john_1959_06_07_013 John Davis at the broadcast desk of KFJC in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_davis_john_1959_06_07_010 John Davis announcing at the broadcast desk of KFJC in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_ballou_bob_1959_10_23_017 Bob Ballou, station manager, sits at the radio controls and speaks the first official words on KFJC in this photo from the October 23, 1959 edition of the Foothill Sentinel. Photograph by Charlie Henderson.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_ballou_bob_1959_07_17_012 Bob Ballou, station manager, examines radio equipment in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View in this photo from 1959. Records and daily binders visible on lower shelves. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_ballou_bob_1959_09_11_009 Bob Ballou, station manager, sits at the radio control panel in the basement of Foothill College in Mountain View. Photo from September 11, 1959 edition of Foothill Sentinel. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_antenna_1959_xx_xx_298 Photograph of installed KFJC radio antenna on the roof of Foothill College building in Mountain View in 1959. Upper floor of the building is visible. Photographer unknown.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_antenna_1959_10_09_021 Four men raising the KFJC radio antenna on the roof of the Foothill College building in Mountain View. Pictured from left to right are Bob Ballou, Jim Fernbaugh, Nathan Ballard and Roger Murray. Photographer Gary Pagano for the Foothill Sentinel, October 9, 1959.
-
fh_kfjc_antenna_1962_10_12_020 Two engineers finish rewiring the KFJC radio antenna on Black Mountain in this photograph from the October 12, 1962 issue of the Foothill Sentinel. Photograph by Jeanette Huston.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_antenna_1959_xx_xx_019 Unidentified man works on the upper half of the upright radio tower in this photo taken in 1959. Photographer unidentified.
-
fh_kfjc_mtn_view_ballou_bob_1959_04_03_018 Bob Ballou, the first station manager of KFJC, opens boxes of new equipment, including the turntable and wall clock with George Castleberry. Photo from April 3, 1959 edition of Foothill Sentinel. Photographer not identified.
-
da_petit_trianon_1959_038 The interior of Le Petit Trianon includes this sitting room with windowed doors that open onto patios on two sides. Photo taken in 1959. Photographer unknown. The room serves as an exhibit hall for the California History Center.
-
da_petit_trianon_19xx_037 The stately library of Le Petit Trianon includes curved bookcases, a custom oak floor and beautiful hand crafted doors and windows. Photograph from House and Garden magazine, 1902.
-
da_petit_trianon_1959_016 Le Petit Trianon, also referred to as "The Pavilion", sits just to the north of the Sunken Garden in 1959. The former home would be moved twice before rehabilitation was to begin. In this photo, the building is in its original location, with Stevens Creek Road (later Blvd.) just behind the building.
-
da_construction_1969_854 The concrete floor, stage and side towers have been built at the Flint Center site in 1969.
-
da_construction_1967_867 Students and community members explore the new campus prior to opening. Most buildings have been completed and the campus awaits landscaping to compliment the appearance.
-
da_construction_1967_092 The large fountain, located in the center of campus near the Administration building, has quite a bit of work remaining before campus opens in Fall of 1967. Once the center tower has been completed, the water basin will be lined with small ceramic tiles, all installed by hand. The shape of the fountain and the ceramic tile clearly reflect the Spanish influenced design of the campus.
-
da_construction_1967_054 A. Robert DeHart, President Elect, De Anza College (center, hand extended) gives a campus tour to show construction progress of the anxiously awaited new college. The group stands on the steps of the Olympic size swimming pool. Other members of the tour are not identified. Photographer unknown.
-
da_construction_1967_053 This photo, taken from the Language Arts Quad, shows the smaller fountain the foreground center. A larger version of this fountain is also being built in front of the Library, which is the large building in the background. The small, red roofed building that is partially blocking the view of the Library is the construction office, which will be moved before the campus opens.
-
da_construction_1967_050 The arches of the Campus Center stand near the
Baldwin Winery Building. These arches will eventually frame the exterior entrance to the Fireside Room.
-
da_construction_1967_048 The Library is nearly complete, but the sunken garden and fountain are still in disarray in this photo from Winter 1967.
-
da_construction_1967_039 The ground has been excavated and construction has begun on the lower level of the Campus Center. As expected by the architects, bad weather would slow down the progress, but the campus opened as planned in September of 1967. On the left of this photo can be seen the Baldwin Winery building and the Arts Quad, which would offer ceramics, painting and photography.
-
da_construction_1966_608 A view of the cleared ground just prior to the beginning of major construction. In the distant right of the photo, the Baldwin Winery building can be seen and, near the distant center is Le Petit Trianon, being prepared for a move to new location. This photo was taken from the approximate location where the S1 building will be built. Photographer unknown.
-
da_construction_1966_606 The Forum 3 and Forum 4 classrooms are being built. Each room will be a small lecture hall with raised seating for better visibility.
-
da_construction_1965_604 The land has been cleared and construction has just begun. The trench in the center of the image will be filled with large concrete pipe, forming a sewer exit for the college. In the background, just left of center, the Baldwin Winery building can be seen. This building still stands on the campus today. To the left of the Winery building is a small building used as a construction office - this building was was retained and was used to house a student banking office, an ATM and other uses over the years.
-
da_construction_1966_083 Looking South toward Stelling Road, this image shows both gymnasiums being built in 1966. On the left are the arches of the Forum Building.