A memo from Mary Levine, President, Board of Trustees, extending Calvin Flint's contract for an additional four years. Flint's contract was extended earlier than was required, to support the excellent job that he had been doing. This document was written in 1961.
The original employment contract of Calvin C. Flint, the first President of Foothill and the first District Superintendent. This document includes the original salary range, the employment period and the original signatures of the first Board of Trustees.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint is interviewed about the concept of a community college by reporter Jess Leonard for a radio program called The Legislative Report. This recording was created in the early to mid 1960s.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint is presented with a plaque honoring the fact that Foothill College was selected for the American Institute of Architects Honor Award in 1962, De Anza College would win the same award shortly after it opened in 1967. Both campuses were designed by the same architectural teams.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint presents the Most Valuable Athlete of 1960-1961 award to Mike Nichols, who excelled in football, basketball and baseball for Foothill College. Photo taken in 1961 at the temporary college location in Mountain View.
At the Foothill College ground breaking ceremony on June 30, 1960, Dr. Calvin C. Flint unveils a plaque commemorating the event. This plaque can still be viewed on the campus - it is affixed to the base of the flagpole near the Foothill Administration building. The campus opened to the public in September of 1961, just fifteen months after this ground breaking ceremony.
Sherill Ann Houseman, who plans to enroll at Foothill College, talks with Dr. Calvin C. Flint about her plans as a psychology major. Photo taken in 1958 at Foothill College's temporary location in Mountain View.
A second view of Calvin Flint in a classroom desk on the site of the future Foothill College. This photo was taken in 1958, just after the purchase of 122 acres of land in Los Altos Hills was completed for approximately $900,000. The purchase was funded by a local bond.
Calvin Flint stands at the rear entrance to the first meeting space for the Board of Trustees, located in a small building in downtown Los Altos. The Board continued to meet in this space from 1958 until 1961, when the new Foothill campus opened in Los Altos Hills.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint, holding the match, lights an owl shaped candle to open the Candle Show fundraiser sponsored by the Women's Auxiliary of El Camino Hospital in Mountain View. Dr. Clark Snead (holding candle) and Ed Hawkins of El Camino Hospital stand next to him. The nurses are not identified. Picture taken at El Camino Hospital in early 1960s.
Calvin Flint's widow, Lenore Flint Maxwell (left) and Mary Ann Walburn view the oil portrait of Dr. Calvin C. Flint before it is mounted on a hallway wall inside the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in 1982.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint (left) and Dr. Robert Smithwick (right) talk about the newly completed Foothill campus in Los Altos Hills in 1962. Picture taken in front of the Foothill Theater, now called the Smithwick Theater.
Cal Flint, first president of Foothill College, addresses faculty in 1960. This picture was taken in a classroom at the temporary location in Mountain View, which the college used for classes while the campus was being constructed in Los Altos Hills.
Calvin Flint pretends to "tweek" the nose of Footsie, the owl that is Foothill's mascot. The stone owl came from Foothill's temporary location in Mountain View, where this picture was taken in 1959. The owl was moved to the campus in Los Altos Hills in 1961, where it remains to this day, mounted on a wall inside the main dining room.
Earl Goddard, Chairman of the board of the Perham Foundation, looks on as Dr. Calvin C. Flint, president of Foothill College, signs an agreement paving the way for a fund drive by the Foundation to finance an electronics museum on the Foothill College Campus. Photo taken in 1960s; precise date unknown.
Dr. Calvin C. Flint lights an owl shaped candle to open the Candle Show, sponsored by the Women's Auxiliary of El Camino Hospital in Mountain View. In suits, from left to right: Dr. Clark Snead, hospital administrator Ed Hawkins, Dr, Calvin Flint. Nurses not identified; photo taken in early 1960s.